Mathew 17:20 - He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
Mark 4:30-32 - “What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest of all seeds on earth. Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds can perch in its shade.”
Mark 4: 14-20 - “The farmer sows the word. Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth, and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop—some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown.”
A mustard seed is so small, looks so insignificant like a little grain of sand, that from its appearance you would never suspect a large plant with large branches could spring forth from it.
A host is also small, insignificant, and seems like nothing, yet, in the small insignificant piece of bread is contained God Almighty when consecrated. Because this Mystery is so great – Christ fully present- Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity in a small insignificant Host— our human mind cannot grasp such a miracle of God without His grace. God constantly shows us His ways are not our ways.
Jesus has been calling us His “mustard seed” for years. This is not just a nice expression from our Lord, but it contains a great mystery for us, and also, it contains the manner in which we will come to be transformed into God’s living hosts. Therefore, we need to go deeper into its meaning to discover what the Heart of God is truly telling us and desiring from us.
“The Lord wants to reveal his glory by taking up our nothingness and our insignificance and turning it into something majestic by the pure force of his love.” (Magnificat 11th Sunday in Ordinary Times 6/17/18)
The Path of the Cross brings us to know our NOTHINGNESS. When we live in our infected wounds believing the lies of Satan and living in disorder, we live a fake identity – someone we are not. Our fallen nature wants to be important, seen, heard, powerful and significant. Yet, the Path of the Cross brings us to discover the truth about ourselves and God—we are nothing and God is ALL; we are insignificant and God is Significant.
Spirit of Poverty, Simple Path p. 303, #110
- The spirit of poverty is lived when you allow the Holy Spirit, My Blessed Mother and Myself to strip you of everything interiorly: your desires, expectations, plans, attachments, securities, consolations in friendships, even consolations from Me, so that you are left completely empty. It is a soul that has been stripped of everything, that is empty and can be filled with My life…
We, Love Crucified, are God’s mustard seed – little, nothing, insignificant-- and in our nothingness is hidden the power of God. That is why God is constantly telling us that we are the “hidden force”. Just as the mustard seed contains the large tree and the Host contains God Almighty, the mustard seed of LC contains the Power of God, the “sword of the Spirit.”
The Lord told us:
- The enemy will be conquered, and all things will be made new but never in the ways of the world. God has chosen to give the sword of righteousness to His little mustard seed. The sword of the mission is the power of God that will pierce and conquer the dragon.11/12/11
- God's little mustard seed, His holy remnant, is the power of God for the great battle. 10/16/14
The mustard seed is our community as a whole and also each member individually. In order for our mission and identity to be protected from the snares of Satan, we MUST become, more-and-more each day, God’s “insignificant vessels”.
- My daughter, desire to be only My insignificant vessel, for it is in your humility and poverty of spirit that I have found great joy. Remain small and I will reveal My power. Desire only the Cross and My love will triumph through you. Believe in the power of My hidden force as ONE with the power of My Eucharistic life. This is the force that God is strengthening for the decisive battle. Perfect your family in the hidden life I have revealed to you.
- My daughter, you, Fr. Jordi, and My community of Love Crucified will undergo greater attacks now from Satan because he knows what will come forth from My little mustard seed. 1/8/11
- Mary to MOC: I come to warn you, for Satan wants to devour God’s mustard seed before the seed begins to flourish and blossom. 4/14/11
This is why the work of our Path of dying to our old selves, the person who we have become that we are not, to become who we truly are – nothing and insignificant – is ESSENTIAL for every MOC and MC, for here lies the protection and fulfillment of God’s mission for the Church given to us—ushering in the reign of the Holy Spirit with the reign of the Immaculate Heart of Mary as one with the Eucharistic Reign.
- He will multiply your lives given and broken through Me, with Me, and in Me. His power and His glory will fill your small sacrifices, united to My perfect sacrifice of love, to raise up a holy priesthood to usher in My Second Coming. My Second Coming will come through Mary, with Mary, and in Mary, for it is My Eucharistic Reign. My little one, the New Pentecost will be the reign of My Mother as one with My Eucharistic Reign united to the Father… This is the great mission given to you and the few that respond. 2/12/18
God has willed for our LC Community to not be recognized officially by the Church as of yet. He has wanted us to remain hidden, insignificant, unnoticed, unwanted, misunderstood and small, for it is God’s way of forming us according to His perfect plan. He is making sure that we ARE THE MUSTARD SEED. Individually, He also forms us in the same way—in the hidden insignificant ordinary martyrdom of the heart. The more hidden, small, insignificant, unnoticed we are, the greater our power because it is the Power of God.
How is the mustard seed of LC sprouting, growing, strengthening, and producing fruit?
- The mustard seed of the LCF is still hidden but it is sprouting, and its roots are becoming anchored and strong. It will stand firm and not be uprooted, because it is being watered by My precious Blood and the blood of My martyrs. 8/29/10
The large tree might never be seen in our own community. We might never be a large and visible community in the Church. The Lord, so far, has scattered one seed in some cities and a few in others. How God sows the seeds of LC is up to Him, but we MUST desire to ALWAYS be His insignificant little mustard seeds.
- Do not grow weary in living all that I have taught you, My little mustard seed. Believe in Me and My promises to you, My little mustard seed. You will grow in great power and strength, but not in the ways of the world, but in the ways of God.... Be prepared for great trials. Persevere in love. 3/30/12
The hidden power of God contained in the mustard seed of the LC Community has been sown... It is sprouting, taking root, and producing fruit there. They might grow in strength and numbers, a visible army in the world, while we remain their “hidden force” as God’s hidden victim souls. We remain the seed that is underground, buried, and our visible growth is actually in others.
- From My mustard seed, the Love Crucified Family will come forth an abundance of choice rich fruit. April 2010
- I now ask you, My blossoming mustard seed, to help guide many out of the path of destruction into the path of life, especially My beloved sons, whom I need to shepherd My people into the safety of My Cross. 3/1/11
- Remain with me and pray the Stations of the Cross so that many hearts will be open, will see, and be converted. After this great grace from God, will come the final tribulation. God’s little mustard seed has been born upon the earth to prepare souls for these decisive times. Pray also for my shepherds, for their hearts to have become dry and brittle, unable to see the God who gave them life hanging from the Tree of Life. 11/3/17
Are we each willing to be the mustard seed that remains hidden, underground, unseen, unperceived, yet, bringing forth large branches and producing an abundance of choice fruit in others?
- You will lead many through this simple path of holiness I am revealing to My little mustard seed (LC), but be assured that My little mustard seed will be the seed that produces a hundred-fold in My Church. 7/13/11
Our Path forms us, and all the souls that receive the Simple Path, to become “Living Hosts”—One with Christ Eucharist. Our Beloved Jesus Christ remains hidden, unseen, unperceived by many in the smallness and insignificance of the Host, yet, the seed of the Eucharist enters our hearts. He continues to remain hidden within us, and if the soil of our hearts has been plowed and prepared, the seed of Christ Eucharist grows until it is no longer we that live but Christ who lives through us, with us, and in us! (Parable of the Sower, Mark 4: 14-20)
How are we nothing and insignificant, yet, we’re sons and daughters of Abba in Christ restored in God’s image and likeness possessing gifts of the Holy Spirit?
- John 15:5 - “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me, you can do nothing.
- Being renewed in Christ and the ability to live our gifts that are given to us by God is completely dependent on God’s grace. We can never be restored in the image and likeness of God on our own, it is ALL God’s grace. Yet, what we do have to give, that ALLOWS God to do this work of transformation in us, is our will- my “fiat” to be His victim soul, and this fiat must be lived out daily as Mary did.
- • Example: I have the gift of teaching, but I am completely dependent on God to give me the understanding, the inspirations, the wisdom, and to connect the dots for me, then I can deliver the teaching with the charism He has given me. The gift is completely dependent on Him—the branch attached to the vine—the gift comes from God and its expression flows from Him to me and then to you. Therefore, I remain nothing and insignificant & He is All.
- • Examples: Maria H- singing & composing/ Jan H -teacher / scholar…
The problem is when we live our gifts and our vocations detached from the Vine, as if they’re our own. This is what our egos desire. This human tendency, that we all have, comes from our infected wounds and through our disordered attachments to want to be important, significant, applauded, affirmed, liked, accepted… IT’S ALL ABOUT ME. It also comes from a lack of TRUST and ABANDONMENT to Christ, truly believing with our entire being that God loves us and anything He permits in our lives, whether good or what we perceive as bad, is for a greater good.
Therefore, you can be a mother, father, priest, layperson living your vocation disconnected from the Vine. We do this many times subconsciously.
What are some signs that can alert us of this condition?
- Feeling burnt out, wiped out, depressed, lack of joy
- Anxiety, fears - because we, subconsciously, are concerned about our reputations, our image, being accepted, liked… fearing criticism, rejection, failure, humiliations…
- A life of disharmony/ lack of balance- work and doing a lot of things, always active, with little time of prayer, silence, recollection, interior work, rest and fun.
- Impurity of desire – we’re doing “good things,” but deep in our hearts they are not flowing necessarily from God, but from our own desires for ourselves.
When we live knowing our NOTHINGNESS and INSIGNIFICANCE, ITS ALL ABOUT CHRIST. He is ALL, our Vine, everything comes to us through Him—we are capable of nothing without Him. Life is not about me anymore, it’s all about Him, and therefore, I live only to please Him—this is HOLINESS.
Simple Path p. 241, #86:
My Lord, how do I live solely for Love, forgetting myself? Live to please Me. To live in the unity of the Trinity is to live gazing at the Father, through the Son, to please Him in all things.